In our Reception Year children have fun learning through our exciting Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) Curriculum. They make great progress towards the Early Learning Goals. This curriculum gives our pupils an excellent broad foundation in:
- Communication and language
- Physical development
- Personal, social and emotional development
- Understanding the world
- Expressive arts and design
- Playing and exploring
- Active learning
- Creating and thinking critically
The EYFS framework describes how early years teachers should work with children and their families to support their learning and development. It describes how your child should be kept safe and cared for and how all concerned can make sure that your child achieves the most that they can in their earliest years of life.
The EYFS is based on four important key principles:
- 'Every child is a competent learner from birth, who can be resilient, capable, confident and self assured'
- 'Children learn to be strong and independent from the base of loving and secure relationships with parents and/or a key person'
- 'the Environment plays a key role in supporting and extending children's development and learning'
- 'Children learn and develop in different ways and different rates and all areas of learning and development are equally important and inter-connected'
There are a wide variety of opportunities for you as parents and carers to join your child in their learning journey which continues after the EYFS into Year 1 and Year 2 through the National Curriculum.
During the summer term prior to starting school the school team have a series of events and opportunities for you to visit school, meet your child's future teacher and ideas and suggestions for how you can support your child in a smooth transition from pre-school to school.